Options

Getting sick from CPAP

I have been getting frequent sinus infections. Is there anything that can help?

Comments

• Options
    Jessica_EasyBreatheJessica_EasyBreathe Posts: 42 admin
    edited June 2017

Sinus infections are not fun, but the additional airway blockage can be a serious issue for CPAP users. Luckily, the SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer has been amazingly effective at clearing up sinus infections for CPAP users. And it makes sense - the SoClean gets rid of all the infection causing agents on your equipment, and if you use it every day, then you can be rest assured that you won't be breathing in any germs from your CPAP.

• Options
    EB_BryanEB_Bryan Posts: 32 mod

The germs that cause sinus infections often cultivate inside your CPAP machine so the SoClean 2 is probably the best solution for sanitizing your equipment. However, if you don't mind cleaning your device by hand then there are a few do's and don'ts that you might want to follow for the best results.

First off there are quite a few useful supplies that help keep your CPAP equipment clean. Tube brushes and mask wipes are useful for getting those hard to reach places that a sponge or rag may not be able to reach.

Along with that you want to be careful about which cleaners you use for your equipment. Alcohol or bleach based cleaners will deteriorate your cushion and tubing so most suppliers recommend using a mild unscented dish soap. When first using your supplies it is easy to make this mistake and often leads to cushion tears or split tubing.

Lastly, dry your supplies! Mold and bacteria grow more quickly when you are using supplies that are wet. A simple way to dry your tubing is to hang it up after you're done cleaning it.

If all else fails you may just need to replace your supplies. A new mask and tubing will give you a fresh, germ free, start. You will still need to clean your supplies daily to prevent the cultivation of germs or bacteria. Doing this regularly will prevent most sinus infections from recurring.

• Options

@EB_Bryan can I use vinegar and water too or do you all not recommend that??

• Options
    kundebkundeb Posts: 2

I was like you with sinus infection, got so clean unit helped lots. Another thing make sure you set your humidity up until you notice that is working for you.

• Options
    rosedaledollyrosedaledolly Posts: 3

I always clean my equipment with a solution of white vinegar and water, running it back and forth through the tube, then hang it and mask in the shower to dry. Also clean the reservoir with it then wipe out with TeeTree oil and wipe again as TeeTree oil is a poison. It kills all germs and bacteria.